Friday, February 24, 2012

7 by Jen Hatmaker

 

I just read the introduction to 7 and I am floored.  At first, I was totally overcome with guilt.  When Jen said how $10,000 could be used in Africa, I felt so guilty for the home improvements we have planned.  We have spent way more than that on our house, just to improve OUR lives a LITTLE, when it could have been used to improve so MANY OTHERS’ lives a LOT.

 

And she said she was so tired of justifying her spending.  Even as I read it the intro and started to feel guilty, I started justifying our spending, as well.

 

The way she described her church was just amazing to me.  They are truly putting others’ needs in front of their own, and it is so unlike anything I’ve ever seen in my life.


 

Lent just started, but I’ve never given anything up for Lent.  However, last year around this time, I spent around $25/week on groceries (without coupons) for 4 weeks in a row, and it was such a great learning experience.  I learned to be more resourceful in my meal planning, and I learned to be pickier in the grocery store.  When you only have $25 to spend, you want to make every dollar count, so you avoid unhealthy foods and instead spend the money where you’ll get the most nutrition and “filling.”

 

I think I’m going to do it again this year, for Lent.  But this time, I want to donate the money that I save ($100/week.)  I am thinking two different things:

1) maybe donate $100 worth of non-perishables to a food pantry.

2) help a young, married, pregnant, un-insured girl with her medical expenses.

6 comments:

  1. Katie, this is stinking awesome. I LOVE the idea of spending only a certain amount on groceries and giving the rest away! This has been my biggest screw-up area lately, and the past week, I've really been trying to remedy that. It feels SO good. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your heart here. as for #2 - how do we "find" people like that? i'm so far removed in my cushy life i'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your idea! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good stuff! I too loved how she descirbed her church...giving half away. Loved that! Thanks for this post and sharing how you are being moved to give.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly where you're coming from. My husband and I are planning some repairs to our bathroom, and although they are necessary, I am feeling guilty about spending that money on ourselves. Or are they necessary? Hmmmmmm.

    Love your idea of helping the young pregnant girl (#2 above). Having been in that positiion, long ago, I know that I will never forget the blessing of the dear Christian woman who took me under her wing and helped me make it through those hard times. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found your blog through Marla. Haven't read the book yet, but am dying to. I love your grocery shopping idea. I am a couponer and go to various stores every week and typically buy only things (other than milk and bananas) that are on sale and I have a coupon for. Yet, our grocery budget is still higher than I want it to be. It would be a great challenge to only spend $25/week on groceries.

    ReplyDelete