Friday, February 11, 2011

House on the Rock

Matthew 7:24-27  The Wise and Foolish Builders
    24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

(http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+7&version=NIV) 


I remember those verses from Sunday School as a little girl.  Really little, because we were in the "blue" room. :)  And I remember the teacher (may have been my mom at that time) telling us that God is our rock.  But I never really "got it" until this last Sunday, when I heard those lines again.  Yes, I understood the metaphor, but sadly, I didn't believe it.


But now I do.  This is what I'm after - the Rock.  I am trying to move my house onto the rock, since I didn't build it there in the first place.  (Too much metaphor?  Oh well.)  I've had a feeling for months that people who have a strong faith get through hard times more easily.  And now I have some scripture to back me up. :)

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it great to rediscover scripture as an adult?

    I think it is awesome that you are moving your house over to the Rock.

    ReplyDelete